i have to say that this is one of my favourite cake recipe because it's very versatile and easy.
the recipe is enough to make a 18cm round cake or 12 regular cupcakes or 24 mini cupcakes.
200g each of margarine, caster sugar & self-raising flour
6 eggs, pre-cracked
1-2 tbsp vanilla/vanilla paste/lemon/almond/orange/etc.
coffee - 2 tbsp instant coffee diluted in 1 tbsp hot water
chocolate - replace 50g of flour with 100g of cocoa diluted in 100ml of warm water & 100g of melted cooking chocolate.
- cream margarine & sugar until pale.
- add chosen flavouring & mix until combined.
- add a third of the eggs with 1 tablespoon of flour and mix until combined. repeat this step until all eggs have been added.
- add remaining flour and mix until combined.
- divide batter into tin.
- bake in preheated oven: 180C.
round cake: 20-40 minutes or until skewer inserted comes out clean
regular cupcakes: 15-20 minutes
mini cupcakes: 10-15 minutes